Thursday, November 22, 2018


WANDERING WITH THE WRIGHTS
November 22, 2018
In the last blog we shared that we would be in and out of Benson, AZ this winter.

Our "old" friend from IL David and his friend
Susan stopped by Benson for a visit.
They had a Halloween Party here at the RV Park so we decided to dress and join in the fun - Jerry even won a prize!
There was a county western band at the Halloween Party - they were excellent - everyone had a great time.
Some of the cute snacks they served


On November 2nd Jerry drove me to Phoenix so that I could fly back to Illinois.  The trip served two purposes: 1) I got to visit with family, friends and most of our grandchildren and 2) I flew with our home church, GCC, in Illinois to Israel.  Jerry wasn't able to go because of his Celiac Disease but he encouraged me to go and I am so glad I did.  The trip was put together by our dear friend Harry Welton.  Harry was on the trip as was his wife Gail.  One of the pastor's from our home church, Pastor Brian and his wife Linda were also on the trip.  I roomed with a lady I have known for years Adele Dixon and many people from our church, to many to name, were on the trip.  Sharing it with all of these amazing people made it even more special.
I never dreamt I would have the privilege to walk where Jesus walked but I did - WOW!!

Our time in Israel was fantastic.  
The view from our window in Galilee looking out over The Sea of Galilee which is actually a lake
We had buffet breakfast and dinner at the hotels every day - sometimes it was hard to tell what we were having - we figured that this was milk because of the percent signs.
The first morning we took a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee - that was when it really hit me where I was.
To think that Jesus was right there where we were - like I said WOW!

I could show you hundreds of pictures but I won't do that to you - picked out a few I thought you might enjoy.
The center of Jesus' ministry in Galilee.  He lived here after the death of John the Baptist.

We saw so many beautiful churches.  I haven't had a chance yet to put all of my notes together with all of my pictures 

This is a 2,000 year old latrine - there was a spring that ran below it to move the waste.
It was a hoot but sure it wasn't to pleasant in the day.
Pastor Brian and Harry re-baptized me in the Jordan - definitely a highlight of the trip
Yes they did bring me back up
Israel cross over the church in Nazareth.  The church is built over where they believe Jesus was born
The Garden Tomb where Jesus' body was laid
After seeing the tomb and getting to enter it we went off in a quite area and Pastor Brian served communion -
another very moving time
These were the communion elements and they let us keep the little olive wood cups that held the wine
Some of the city of Jerusalem from the top of the Mt of Olives
My foot on the the Via Dolorosa where Jesus carried the cross to his crucifixion

The Stations of the Cross are today in a very crowded shopping area so you actually have to hunt to find the markings
They know about the Cubs
Some of the stores in Old Jerusalem

The local people are thrilled that the Embassy is back in Jerusalem
That is the Dead Sea in the background.  I am on top of an old fortress in Masada and I am at sea level.
The Dead Sea is the lowest place on earth
Many of us mudded up with the mud from the bottom of the Dead Sea.
It is loaded with a high concentration of minerals - it makes the skin so soft
Floating in the Dead Sea - no work at all it just holds you up.
We had a free day in Jerusalem and I hooked up with a small group of people from GCC who wanted to do the same things I was interested in doing.  We spent most of the day in Old Jerusalem and witnessed several Bar Mitzvahs'. 
Here I am walking the Rampart which is a path on top of the stone wall that surrounds Old Jerusalem.
I made an all time record of  22,738 steps and 43 flights of stairs.
That's what happens when you hang out with a 50 year olds - LOL


My free day buddies - we had a great day!

The entrance to the  City of David
 We to a great view of the Wailing Wall from the Rampart that
would visit the next day
Enjoyed the names of some of the stores
My awesome roommate Adele
Me praying at the Wailing Wall.  The men go on the left side and the women to the right.
We all wrote our prayer requests on small pieces of paper and stuck them in the wall.
This is Francais - the oldest person on the trip at 90!!  She had always wanted to come to Israel and finally her granddaughter brought her.  She was amazing keeping up, walked without a cane, was always smiling - she was an absolute delight.
I could post so much more but here is a run down instead: Sea of Galilee, Mount of Beatitudes, Tabgha, Capernaum, Nazareth, Mt. Carmel, Valley of Armageddon, Caesarea, Magdala, Best Shean, Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Masada, Ein Gedi and also Qumran where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered.  A dear friend who had been to the Holy Land told me before I left that I would never read the Bible again the same way - she was so right.  I can now picture so many of the places in the Gospel.

After the flight back to O'Hare I spent a few days with my mom -

This is what I woke up to the first morning back - I was really missing Jerry after two weeks and the snow and cold made me even more anxious to head back to Arizona 
And today we celebrated Thanksgiving in the club house with 132 others.  We were at tables of 22 - each table had a meeting last week to decide who would bring what and it was a feast for sure.
I made my mom's bread stuffing and it was a huge hit - everyone said "just like my mom used to make".
We hope that each of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family or friends.

We leave Saturday for a 3-week mission trip in McNeal, AZ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.